Sunday, May 2, 2010

Uncharted worlds?

Maps. If you are a Fantasy writer, your map may be the bane of your existence. I've lost track of how many times I have recreated this map. While I enjoy the world-building aspect, I do not expressly enjoy drawing 3,000 mountains and trees. The pitfalls of creation - wherein you write something as happening a certain way and then expect the physical universe to be able to manifest it - have no doubt caused a rift between writers and artists since time immemorial.

Some things, like the time it takes to travel from Acacia to Chalons-en-Les Trois, are easily amended in the work itself by expediently remarking that it took two weeks instead of one to get there. But when the Haden Gorge must open upon the Faisal escarpment with the city of Sakkalaah and the Assifiyah range split by the River Cry, and pivotal plot points occur within this geography, you've got to make that work.

My husband generously offered to pen the map on my behalf. Being a fine artist, he no doubt would've made short work of the project. Instead, in my enthusiasm, I took it upon myself yesterday to render the masterpiece and subsequently spent the next eight hours laboring over a continent dominated by mountains (who thought up this place, anyway?) and trying to force my flowery script into characters the size of mouse poo.

Nonetheless, a rough draft was accomplished around midnight. To my readers, you'll be pleased to know that all of the major cities are represented, even if you'll need a magnifying glass to read them.

Best tea for drawing maps of uncharted worlds: Peet's Rare Golden Dragon Oolong (and a little salted chocolate helps, too).

2 comments:

  1. My recommendation for future maps: larger scale. Draw the map huge so you can fit in all your flowery script without cramping your hard. It can always be scaled down at FedEx Office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, Christopher. And I like the idea of designing a mountain range in Paint, using cut/paste ^^^^^ moutainscapes to glue-stick to your map. Thank you, Melissa, for going through the "adventure" of mapping your quests! May your work sell better for it!

    ReplyDelete