Monday, May 10, 2010

I just have to say...

I like non-conformists. I like people "who refuse to limit themselves with labels" (I totally ripped this off from the Delphian School vision statement, but I'm a graduate of that school so I'm qualified to consider myself one of those people). So much about the Fantasy genre is subject to stereotype, but as is true for most stereotypes, too often people don't look past these oversimplified concepts to see what lies beneath.

Fantasy authors have been enthralling readers since long before Arabian Nights, and Science Fiction writers, with their genius in imagining the possible out of the impossible, have driven advances in civilization as much as Science itself.

And where SF drives us to imagine a different future, a different now, Fantasy investigates entirely new worlds where magic still reigns and honor, justice and good and evil are inextricably bound within the lives of each character.

Is it any wonder that some of the biggest blockbusters in Hollywood have been SF&F? These genres give hope for the goodness of man, hope that evil will not prevail, and keep our eyes on the stars.

I like not conforming to the "typical" fantasy reader stereotype as well as the "typical" fantasy writer one. Being part of this "weird" group of people who continue to postulate new realities is a label I wear proudly.

On another note, my map is now finished. We're coming down to the final stretch of pre-production.

Best tea for ranting: Harsha with a little bit of honey

No comments:

Post a Comment