Tuesday, May 4, 2010

He says, she says

"Failure is the province of the craven and the dead," so says Bjorn van Gelderan in a quote that precedes Chapter 1.

Somewhere along the way I got it in my head that it would be great to have similar quotes preceding every chapter. In theory, this is a great concept; it would allow me to provide viewpoint snippets for a variety of characters, a little extra hint here or there about who they really are and how they think. Each quote would be relevant to the chapter it precedes, but it wouldn't be a quote from the chapter. In some cases, the quote might provide deeper insight into the chapter's main message. Other times it may simply provide levity.

This is a modest goal when you have 25 chapters. When you're encroaching on 60...well, it's ambitious to say the least.

With the final edit complete and ready to be uploaded for layout, I decided to confront this project. It has not been quite as painful as I anticipated, but I'm only half-way through and feel that I have fully exhausted my supply of witticisms, proverbs and poignant truths. So if you have any to offer, by all means send them my way!

Best tea for devising quotes from people who don't exist: Rooibos Hazelnut Dolce with Mate Vana.

1 comment:

  1. So interesting to hear SAGE words from your characters knowing they originated from you! Then again, writers must see the world in ways we commoners can't and determine which truths are to be shared.

    ReplyDelete